If you’ve been reading this blog awhile, you’ll remember that long ago I had a great idea to redo a set of four dining room chairs our neighbors gave us. If you’re new to this blog, you may not yet have realized that two of my worst qualities are that I procrastinate and I’m indecisive. This project to redo the dining chairs suffered from both.
To catch you up, at the end of May(!) I took one of these dining chairs:
While I liked the result a lot more than I did the original chair, I didn’t love it enough to justify doing the other three chairs exactly the same way. So then I thought I might like a pale green chair, so I repainted it:
But I really didn’t like that.
So then I painted it black, the color that Mark wanted from the beginning of this project.
And I liked it and decided that all four chairs should be black. But then I looked around and realized that meant I had to sand, prime, and apply two coats of paint to THREE other chairs. And that’s when I decided that I’d rather do just about anything else.
But several weeks ago I made a list of 20 projects I’ve been meaning to do around the house. Completing the dining room chair project was on the list and seemed to be a combination of fairly easy and fairly urgent – I was tired of looking at those mismatched chairs taking up space in my dining room.
So here you have it, four “new” dining chairs to place at Mark’s homemade dining table.
While I think the chairs and table in the photo above look great, I would be remiss if I let you believe that’s how our dining room always looks. In fact, this is how it looks usually:
Yes, our dining room is used a heck of a lot more for ping-pong than for dining. Charlie discovered ping-pong over a year ago and loves it.
Though this project from start to finish took me quite a long time, it was blissfully inexpensive.
- four dining chairs: free from neighbor
- sandpaper: free (already had some)
- primer: free (already had some)
- paint brushes: free (I used our standard go-to paint brush for most of each chair and then for the intricate bits, I used one of Charlie’s paint brushes which was the perfect size)
- 1 yard of fabric for the seat cushions: $5 (bought at a charity benefit, so I can even deduct it on my taxes!)
- paint: $12 (the only paint I bought was a quart of black paint and in the end I didn’t even open it because the black paint we already had turned out to be enough)
- replacement bolt: $1.55
- replacement screws: $1.95 (I lost several of the original screws that hold the seat cushions to the chairs — they’ll turn up someday at which point I’ll wonder what the heck they’re for)
Grand total: $20.50
Mark even brought over our neighbor (the original owner of the chairs) to see if she approved of the redo. Mercifully, she did. She even called me Martha Stewart. I chose not to be insulted.